Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Turner, Edward Beadon
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The eldest son of George Turner, MRCS, who practised at 9 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park. Born at Chigwell, Essex in September 1854. His younger brother was Sir G R Turner, KBE, FRCS, surgeon to St George's Hospital, and two uncles were Members of the College. He entered Uppingham School in October 1867. In 1872 he entered St George's Hospital where he gained the Brackenbury scholarship and the Treasurer's prize.
He served as house physician at St George's, was visiting apothecary to the Hospital, and was an assistant demonstrator of anatomy in the Medical School. He then settled down in private practice with his father in Sussex Gardens.
In 1912 he became a member of the Council of the British Medical Association. He was chairman of the Kensington division in 1913, a member of the Metropolitan Counties branch council in 1914, becoming president of the branch in 1927-1928. In 1915 he was elected chairman of the Representative Body of the Association. During 1920-1925 he was a member of the General Medical Council, and for four years was chairman of the Central Council for District Nursing.
He was physician to St Mary's College, Lancaster Gate, consulting physician to the Princess Helena College at Ealing, and inspector of Special Constabulary of the F division, of which he was for a time chief medical officer. From 1921 until his death he was vice-president of the National Council for Combating Veneral Disease. After the war the military authorities invited Turner to undertake a month's tour of the British Army on the Rhine, with the result that there was an immediate and considerable decrease in the number of cases of veneral disease.
He maried Margaret Isobel, daughter of Henry Scott of Bombay, who survived him with four daughters. He died on 30 June 1931 at 21 Westbourne Terrace, W2, and was buried at Sherborne, Dorset.