Sexually transmitted diseases

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Sexually transmitted diseases

Sexually transmitted diseases

Equivalent terms

Sexually transmitted diseases

  • UF Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Associated terms

Sexually transmitted diseases

8 Authority record results for Sexually transmitted diseases

6 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Babington, George Gisborne

  • Person
  • 1795-1856

Born in Leicestershire.

Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1829-1830, surgeon 1830-1843. Surgeon at London Lock Hospital. Member of the Council at the Royal College of Surgeons 1836-1845, Hunterian Orator. Specialised in syphilitic diseases. Published on ulcers, sloughing sores and sexually transmitted diseases.

Married Sarah Anne Pearson of Golden Square in 1817. Died 1 Jan 1856 at home, 13 Queen's Gardens, Hyde Park.

Bromfeild, William

  • Person
  • 1712-1792

Surgeon. Established London Lock Hospital for treating venereal disease. Surgeon at St George's Hospital. Surgeon of the royal household. Governor of St George's Hospital. President of St George's Hospital.

Cutler, Edward

  • Person
  • 1796-1874

Born at Wimborne, Dorset, the son of a clergyman. Entered the Navy, but abandoned it in favour of medicine due to ill health. Educated at Great Windmill Street School of Medicine and St George's Hospital.

Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1834-1848, surgeon 1848-1861, consulting surgeon 1861-1874.

Assistant surgeon in the Life Guards 1821-1824. Assisted Sir Benjamin Brodie in his private practice. Surgeon and consulting surgeon at the Lock Hospital. Private practice.

Specialised in venereal diseases.

Married, with a son and a daughter. Retired in 1861. Died 7 Sep 1874 at home, 15 New Burlington Street.

Grove Fever Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1899-1958

Opened in 1899 in Tooting Grove, opposite the entrance to the Fountain Hospital. During the First World War it became the Grove Military Hospital, and parts of the hospital were designated for infectious diseases, tuberculosis and dermatology and sexually transmitted diseases. It became a fever hospital again in 1920, and was taken over by LCC in 1930.

Joseph Bramhall Ellison, a physician at the hospital, discovered in 1932 that giving Vitamin A to children with measles reduced their mortality rates drastically.

During the Second World War the hospital admitted civilian air-raid casalties, but several ward blocks were damaged by bombs. The hospital joined the NHS in 1948 under the control of the Wandsworth Hospital Group as the Grove Hospital.

The site was designated for St George's Hospital, and patients from St George's began to be admitted in 1951; staff and patients from St James' Hospital, Balham were also temporarily transferred to the hospital. St George's Hospital took over administrative control of the Grove Hospital in 1954, and it became the Tooting branch of St George's Hospital. Many of the original buildings were demolished in the 1970s.

Hunter, John

  • GB/NNAF/P165880 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/P14923 )
  • Person
  • 13 February 1728 – 16 October 1793

John Hunter (1728-1793) came to London in 1748 at the age of 20 and worked as an assistant in the anatomy school of his elder brother William (1718-83), who was already an established physician and obstetrician. Under William's direction, John learnt human anatomy and showed great aptitude in the dissection and preparation of specimens. William also arranged for him to study under the eminent surgeons William Cheselden (1688-1752) and Percivall Pott (1714-88).

Hunter was commissioned as an army surgeon in 1760 and spent three years in France and Portugal. As well as developing new ideas on the treatment of common ailments - such as gunshot wounds and venereal disease - Hunter spent time collecting specimens of lizards and other animals. On his return to England in 1763 he began to build up his private practice. His scientific work was rewarded in 1767 when he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 1768 he was elected Surgeon to St George's Hospital, and in 1783 he moved to a large house in Leicester Square, which enabled him to take resident pupils and to arrange his collection into a teaching museum.

Hunter devoted all his resources to his museum. It included nearly 14,000 preparations of more than 500 different species of plants and animals. As his reputation grew, he was supplied with rare specimens such as kangaroos brought back by Sir Joseph Banks from James Cook’s voyage of 1768-71.

While most of his contemporaries taught only human anatomy, Hunter's lectures stressed the relationship between structure and function in all kinds of living creatures. Hunter believed that surgeons should understand how the body adapted to and compensated for damage due to injury, disease or environmental changes. He encouraged students such as Edward Jenner and Astley Cooper to carry out experimental research and to apply the knowledge gained to the treatment of patients.

By the 1780s Hunter enjoyed widespread recognition as the leading teacher of surgery of his time. However, the acclaim did little to mellow his blunt-speaking and argumentative nature. His temper was to be his downfall: Hunter died in 1793 after suffering a fit during an argument at St George's Hospital over the acceptance of students for training.

Hunter is today remembered as a founder of `scientific surgery'. He was unique in seeking to provide an experimental basis to surgical practice, and his museum is a lasting record of his pioneering work

Lane, Samuel Armstrong

  • Person
  • 1802-1892

Educated at the Great Windmill Street School and St George’s Hospital. On his application as an assistant surgeon at St George’s in 1834, however, he was turned down in favour of Edward Cutler. Feeling he had been unfairly treated because Cutler was a relative of Benjamin Collins Brodie, Lane founded a rival anatomical school nearby at Grosvenor Place; the school soon became popular and was one of the schools attended by the pupils from St George’s Hospital.

Lane became senior surgeon to St Mary’s Hospital soon after its establishment in 1852, and Lane transferred his pathological and anatomical collections to the new school at St Mary’s Hospital. He also worked at the Lock Hospital. He was one of the original 300 fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons, and a member of the Council. He was also a fellow, member of the Council and vice-president of the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society.

He was known as a skilled surgeon, and was one of the first to practice ovariotomy. He also performed the first successful blood transfer to treat haemophilia in 1840. He published a series of well-received articles on syphilis, however, being opposed to medical specialisms he refused to continue publishing on the subject.

He retired to Ealing, and died 2 Aug 1892, aged 90. His nephew James Robert Lane and his great-nephew James Ernest Lane continued his work at St Mary’s Hospital and with syphilis.

Sheild, Arthur Marmaduke

  • Person
  • 1858-1922

Born in Laugharne, Carmarthen, Wales.

Student at St George's Hospital Medical School, where he won several prizes. House surgeon at St George's Hospital. Visiting surgeon at Atkinson Morley's Convalescent Home, Wimbledon.

House surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge 1881; private assistant of Sir George Humphry. Spent three years at Cambridge, studying at Downing College alongside his work. FRCS 1883.

Returned to St George's Hospital as assistant surgeon 1893, surgeon to the Throat Department 1895, surgeon 1900, consulting surgeon 1907-1922. Anaesthetist, curator of the museum 1886.

Assistant surgeon to Westminster Hospital 1886. Assistant surgeon, aural surgeon, demonstrator of anatomy and lecturer on practical surgery in the medical school at Charing Cross Hospital, 1887-1893. Surgeon and consulting surgeon to the Waterloo Road Hospital for Women and Children and the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth. Secretary to the Medical Society of London, the Dermatological Society and the Surgical Section of the British Medical Association 1895, examiner in surgery at the University of Cambridge and at Apothecaries' Hall.In 1907, he inoculated himself with syphilis during an operation, and had to retire aged 49 due to ill health. After multiple operations, his health improved. During the First World War he served as operating surgeon to a military hospital at Exmouth, near Budleigh Salterton where he had retired to.

He died, unmarried, 5 Aug 1922 following a seizure whilst on holiday in the Hebrides.

Ward, Arthur H.

  • Person
  • 1864-1942

Born 5th October 1864, the son of Rev George T. Ward of Stanton St Bernard, Wiltshire. Educated at Moneton and St George's Hospital where he was assistant demonstrator in the medical school.

He held various resident posts at St George's Hospital and became surgical registrar and anaesthetist. After serving as clinical assistant at the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, Moorfields, he interested himself in dermatology and syphilis and was appointed surgeon to the Lock Hospital. During the first world war he served as resident medical officer to the Red Cross Hospital for Officers in Torquay, and served with the temporary rank of Captain in the RAMC.

He practiced at 31 Grosvenor Street, London and lived at Denmark Hill. He retired to Greve d'Azette, Jersey, where he died on 21st February 1942, aged 77.