- NT Addiction medicine
- NT Allied health personnel
- NT Arts in health
- NT Bacteriology
- NT Biomedical sciences
- NT Cardiology
- NT Cellular science
- NT Dental
- NT Dermatology
- NT Embryology
- NT Expedition medicine
- NT Forensic medicine
- NT Gastroenterology
- NT General practice
- NT Genetics
- NT Geriatrics
- NT Gynecology
- NT Haematology
- NT Health sciences
- NT Healthcare
- NT Herbal medicine
- NT Histology
- NT Immunology
- NT Medicine, traditional
- NT Microbiology
- NT Midwifery
- NT Molecular science
- NT Neurology
- NT Neurorehabilitation
- NT Neurosurgery
- NT Nosology
- NT Nursing
- NT Obstetrics
- NT Occupational therapy
- NT Oncology
- NT Ophthalmology
- NT Opthalmology
- NT Paediatrics
- NT Parasitology
- NT Pathology
- NT Pharmacology
- NT Physical and rehabilitation medicine
- NT Physiology
- NT Physiotherapy
- NT Population health
- NT Psychiatry
- NT Psychology
- NT Radiography
- NT Renal medicine
- NT Social work
- NT Surgery
- NT Tropical medicine
- NT Urology
- NT Virology
171 Authority record results for Disciplines-Health
Student at St George's Hospital under John Hunter; studied also at St Bartholomew's Hospital and Guy's Hospital. Became a member of the Corporation of Surgeons in 1790. MD 1795 from the University of Aberdeen based on his work 'Morbid Poisons'. Lived and work at Madeira for eight years, and is said to have introduced cowpox to Madeira. Admitted as an extra-licentiate to the London Royal College of Physicians on his return to England in 1805. Physician at the Smallpox Hospital 1806, where he contributed to a report on smallpox. Remembered as the founder of medical genetics.
First apothecary at St George’s Hospital in 1733; discharged after complaints in 1734
- Corporate body
The hospital was originally built as a convalescent home for recovering patients from St George's Hospital (then at Hyde Park Corner), but became a brain surgery centre and was involved in the development of the CT scanner.
Atkinson Morley, a former medical student at St George's and a wealthy landowner and hotelier, left £100,000 in his will to St George's 'for receiving, maintaining and generally assisting convalescent poor patients', and the hospital opened in July 1869. It received patients from St George's initially on horse-drawn carriages, and from 1888 on an 'omnibus' accommodating 14 people.
It remained a convalescent home until 1939, and during the First World War it accommodated servicemen. The hospital was struggling financially, and gradually it began to admit more acute cases as well as tuberculosis patients. During the Second World War it became Atkinson Morley Emergency Hospital.
After the war, the hospital became an internationally recognised neuroscience centre, established by neurosurgeon Wylie McKissock. The Department of Psychiatry and an X-ray department specialising in neuroradiology were established in 1949; a Sleep Laboratory was established in 1972. The Wolfson Neurorehabilitation Centre was opened in 1967 to provide rehabilitation and outpatient services for the hospital. The hospital successfully introduced CT (computed tomographhy) scanning into medical practice in 1971 following a prototype scanner built by electronic engineer Godfrey Hounsfield, who was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for his invention in 1979.
The building closed in 2003, and neuroscience services were located to the Atkinson Morley Wing at St George's Hospital, Tooting; the Wolfson Neurorehabilitation Centre remained in Wimbledon.
Born in Lanarkshire 27 Oct 1761, the son of Rev James Baillie (subsequently professor of divinity at the University of Glasgow) and Dorothea Hunter, sister of William and John Hunter. His sister was poet Joanna Baillie. Educated at Hamilton. Student at University of Glasgow and Balliol College, University of Oxford from 1779. Graduated AB 1783, AM 1786, MB 1786, MD 1789.
Baillie spent his holidays in London staying with his uncle William Hunter, and studied anatomy at St George's under his uncle John Hunter, as well as assisting him on his lectures and demonstrations and supervised students making dissections. On the death of William Hunter, Baillie inherited £5,000, Hunter's house on Great Windmill Street and the use of Hunter's museum until 30 years from Hunter's death, as well as a small estate in Scotland, which he gave to John Hunter. Baillie lectured at the school from 1783-84 to 1799 or 1803.
He was appointed physician at St George's Hospital in 1787. Candidate of the Royal College of Physicians 1789, fellow 1790; censor in 1791 and 1796, elect 1809. Honorary fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh 1809. Fellow of the Royal Society. Baillie succeeded his friends David Pitcairn and Dr Warren to practice, which grew so rapidly that he resigned his appointment at St George's as well as giving up on teaching anatomy, devoting himself to his medical practice. Appointed physician extraordinary to George III and in 1814 physician in ordinary to Princess Charlotte. Declined baronetcy for his services to the king.
Published widely on anatomy and pathology; his 'The Morbid Anatomy of Some of the Most Important Parts of the Human Body', published in 1793, is considered the first systematic study of pathology, and the first publication in English on pathology as a separate subjects. He is credited with identifying transposition of the great vessels (TGV) and situs inversus.
Married Sophia Denman, daughter of physician Thomas Denman, an alumnus of St George's. Retired to Gloucestershire, where he died 23 Sep 1823, aged 62 after briefly suffering from inflammation of the mucous membrane of the trachea. His wife Sophia died in 1845, aged 74.
Governor of St George's Hospital 1733-?. Apothecary. Of Haymarket
Matron at St George’s Hospital in the 1920s
Supplied herbs and medicines to St George’s Hospital in the 1700s
Born at Lee, Kent, the son of Henry Bellingham-Smith, a broker, and Frances Machin. He received his medical education at Guy's Hospital where his elder brother was on the honorary staff as obstetrician and gynaecologist. He graduated MB BS in 1905. His first interest was gynaecology and he proceeded MD in 1907, but then turned to general practice and paediatrics. About this time he began his long association with the Queen's Hospital for Children (later Queen Elizabeth Hospital), serving as RMO there. He was chairman of the medical committee and a member of the management committee of the hospital for many years.
At the beginning of the first world war he went out to work in Serbia with a privately organised ambulance service and he later joined the RAMC, serving in Egypt and obtaining the rank of major. After demobilisation he became assistant physician to St George's Hospital in 1920, later consultant physician, and served there for twenty-five years.
He undertook research on many aspects of disease in children and his papers covered subjects such as enureris, mongolism, typhoid fever, meningitis and speech defects. He was also deeply interested in diseases of the heart and lungs. He became a Fellow of the College in 1924, serving as examiner for the Conjoint Board, and was a councillor and censor in 1946 and 1947.
While serving in Egypt and Palastine he met his first wife, Barbara Mary Kenny, daughter of a director of the Royal Mail Steamship Company. They married in 1918 and had two sons. Barbara developed tuberculosis and died in 1934. He later obtained a special dispensation from the Catholic Church to marry her sister, Dorothy.
Bacteriologist and pathologist. Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps during the First World War. During the 1918-1920 influenza pandemic he was in the British Egyptian Expeditionary Force, observing the pandemic; he published his findings in the British Medical Journal in 1919. Consultant physician to St George’s Hospital and Evelina Hospital, London.
Motor racer, including at Brooklands and Le Mans, where he first won in 1924 with Bentley. One of the founding members of the British Racing Drivers’ Club in 1928.
Matron at Atkinson Morley's Convalescent Home, Wimbledon.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1844; MRCS 1849. Surgical registrar and surgeon at St George's Hospital.
Surgeon at St James's Dispensary. Moved to Stroud, Gloucestershire in 1861. Honorary assistant surgeon at Gloucestershire Volunteers. Moved to Minchinhampton near Stroud in 1890. Surgeon at Minchinhampton Dispensary.
Died at Teddington 22 Oct 1898, aged 73.
Educated at Tonbridge School, Rugby School and Wadham College, Oxford; BA 1852, MA 1857.
Studied medicine at St George's in 1852; BM (Oxon) 1857, LSA 1857. MRCS 1858, MRCP 1860.
Resident medical officer at Blacklands House, a private asylum for gentlemen in London. Visiting physician to Blacklands House and its successor Newlands House in Tooting and to several other asylums alongside his private practice in Clarges Street, Grosvenor Street and later Wimpole Street.
Lecturer on psychological medicine at St George's 1865-1902.
FRCP 1869. President of the Medico-Psychological Association. Lumleian lecturer.
Leading author on mental illness legislation. Published 'Insanity and its Treatment' (1871) and widely on mental illness.
Married Louisa Holloway in 1864; they had two sons and two daughters. Retired to Tunbridge Wells.
Studied nursing at St George’s in 1923; after her qualification was promoted to sister in charge of a ward. Returned to St George’s in 1929 after two years abroad. Retired from St George’s in 1963.
Born at the Friary, Newark on 4th February 1822.
In 1840 he was articled at the Royal College of Surgeons to John Goldwyer Andrews at the London Hospital. After qualifying he was appointed house surgeon. After a year he attended hospitals in Paris and later Vienna where he studied opthalmic surgery and pathological anatomy. He later travelled to Prague, Berlin, Pavia, Pisa, Florence and Rome. Returning to London, he was elected in 1852 surgeon on the staff of the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, and in 1862 he was elected assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital, and later surgeon with orthopaedic wards until 1874.
By the time of his death he was surgeon to the Orthopaedic Hospital, and for a time he was lecturer on Orthopaedic Surgery at St George's. He was on the staff of the Royal Hospital for Incurables, and consulting surgeon of the Belgrave Hospital for Children. For many years he had the chief orthopaedic practice in England. He was an associate of the Academy of Sciences of Rome, and corresponding member of the Medical Societies of Lyons, Odessa and Rome, of the Chirurgical Society of Paris, and of the American Orthopaedic Association.
He died on 20th January 1900.
Surgeon at St George's Hospital 1744-1780. Surgeon to King George III. Surgeon and one of the founders of the Lock Hospital. Published on surgery and anatomy.
Apothecary at St George’s Hospital in 1793-1796
Educated at St George's Hospital and took the diplomas of M.R.C.S in 1874 and of L.R.C.P. Lond. in 1875. He took the F.R.C.S. Edin in 1882. House surgeon and assistant surgical registrar at St George's Hospital until he went into practice at Stony Stratford.
He held the Volunteer Decoration, and in 1913 he was appointed honorary surgeon to the king. He was a Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem and an honorary associate, lecturer and examiner for the St John Ambulance Association. He was a member of the British Medical Association and had been president of the South Midland Branch. He became a member of the Naval and Military Committee of the British Medical Association in October 1913. For many years was a member of the Bucks Territorial Force Association and was appointed country director of the Bucks branch of the British Red Cross Society.
Died at Stony Stratford on 14th August 1921. His son, Lieutenant G.J.O Bull, 2nd Field Company, East Lancashire was killed in the Dardanelles on 8th July 1915.
MD Oxon. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. Physician at St George’s Hospital 1774-1787. Left a collection of Materia Medica to his pupil E.A. Brande, who donated it to the College of Physicians along with a memoir of Dr Burgess.
Supplied herbs and medicines to St George’s Hospital in the 1700s
Carpue’s connection with St. George’s was brief: he enrolled as a student in August 1796 under Everard Home. After 1799 he took up surgical posts at the Duke of York Hospital, Chelsea, St. Pancras’ Infirmary, and the National Vaccine Institution. He achieved fame as an anatomical tutor with a private school of anatomy in Dean Street, Soho. His bust by William Behnes was bequeathed to St. George’s Hospital by his daughter Emma Carpue who also left the hospital £6,500. He died in 1846 following an accident on the South-Western railway from which he never recovered.