Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms



Equivalent terms


Associated terms


4 Authority record results for Dermatology

4 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Addison, Thomas

  • Person
  • 1793-1860

Known for describing skin disease now known as Addison's disease.

Attended lectures on surgery at St George's in 1816.

Cottle, Ernest Wyndham

  • Person
  • 1847-1919

Student at Oxford, St George's Hospital Medical School and the Army Medical School.

Assistant surgeon in the Army 1871, surgeon to the Scots Fusilier Guards. Resigned 1877.

Dermatological practice at Savile Row. Senior assistant surgeon to the Hospital for Diseases of the Skin at Blackfriars. Lecturer on diseases of the skin to the Medical Mission at Vincent Square. Medical Officeer to the Universal Provident Assurance Society. 1887 surgeon to the Hospital for Diseases of the Skin, and consulting dermatologist to the School for Indigent Blind. Physician at the Skin Department of St George's Hospital.

Retired to the Isle of Wight, where he was appointed honorary consulting physician to the Royal Isle of Wight County Hospital in Ryde. Died in 1919.

Gordon, Hugh Walker

  • Person
  • 1897-1987

Born in Maxwelton, Kirkcudbrightshire. His father, H. Sharpe Gordon, was a solicitor. Educated at Marlborough before entering the Army in the RFA; he was wounded and invalided out in 1918, receiving the Military Cross. After the war he entered Pembroke College, Cambridge, initially to study history but changing to natural sciences.

He won a scholarship to the medical school at St George's Hospital. After qualification he obtained the post of resident medical officer for one year, before studying dermatology and radiotherapy at St Louis Hospital in Paris, France and Vienna, Austria. On his return to London he was employed at St John's Hospital, Lewisham, the Shadwell Children's Hospital and the East Ham Memorial Hospital.

In 1933, he joined the staff at St George's Hospital as assistant skin physician, relinquishing his three previous appointments, but adding two others at the West London Hospital and the Cancer (now the Royal Marsden) Hospital in Fulham Road. His roles at St George's later also encompassed those of an administrator and acting dean of the medical school, as well as director of the V.D. (veneral diseases) department. He was responsible for the introduction of female students from Cambridge to St George's following the Second World War; while women had been allowed to study medicine at St George's during the First World War, they had not been admitted in the interwar period.

In 1939 Gordon was appointed sector dermatologist to the EMS Sector Seven which entailed weekly visits to a number of hospitals. At the Cancer Hospital he became an expert at treating the various skin malignancies, and his previous interest in radiotherapy proved valuable. He soon became intrigued by the possible role of hypnosis in the treatment of various skin conditions, and with the assistance of Kathryn Cohen (who had studied at St George's as one of the first female students in 1945 and was working at St George's Hospital as a psychoanalyst) and S. Mason, he undertook a study and presented the results to the 1952 International Congress in London.

In 1963 he was president of the British Association of Dermatologists, and also president of the dermatological section of the Royal Society of Medicine. He was chairman of the medical staff committee at St George's for three years and was Governor of St George's Hospital 1948-1952.

He was married to Jean Robertson; they were married at St George's, Hanover Square.

Grove Fever Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1899-1958

Opened in 1899 in Tooting Grove, opposite the entrance to the Fountain Hospital. During the First World War it became the Grove Military Hospital, and parts of the hospital were designated for infectious diseases, tuberculosis and dermatology and sexually transmitted diseases. It became a fever hospital again in 1920, and was taken over by LCC in 1930.

Joseph Bramhall Ellison, a physician at the hospital, discovered in 1932 that giving Vitamin A to children with measles reduced their mortality rates drastically.

During the Second World War the hospital admitted civilian air-raid casalties, but several ward blocks were damaged by bombs. The hospital joined the NHS in 1948 under the control of the Wandsworth Hospital Group as the Grove Hospital.

The site was designated for St George's Hospital, and patients from St George's began to be admitted in 1951; staff and patients from St James' Hospital, Balham were also temporarily transferred to the hospital. St George's Hospital took over administrative control of the Grove Hospital in 1954, and it became the Tooting branch of St George's Hospital. Many of the original buildings were demolished in the 1970s.