Showing 245 resultsAuthority record
Born at Killerton, Devon. Educated at Harrow and Christ Church, Oxford. Studied medicine at St George's Hospital and Edinburgh. All Souls fellowship 1842, Lee's reader in anatomy at Christ Church 1846; BM 1846.
Physician at the Radcliffe Infirmary 1847.
Entered St George's Hospital in 1879. Served as house surgeon in 1883-1884, and at the end of his term of office was appointed surgical registrar and demonstrator of anatomy. Elected assistant surgeon to St George's Hospital in 1894.
Elected assistant surgeon to St Mark's Hospital in 1885, resigning in 1890. In 1887 he became surgeon to the Great (now the Royal) Northern Hospital, a post he held until 1896. He was appointed surgeon in ordinary to the Prince of Wales, later King George V, having been previously surgeon to the household of King Edward VII. He also filled the offices of surgeon to the Surgical Aid Society and to the Osborn Home for Officers.
- Corporate body
- 1869 - 2003
Born in Leicestershire.
Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1829-1830, surgeon 1830-1843.
Surgeon at London Lock Hospital. Member of the Council at the Royal College of Surgeons 1836-1845, Hunterian Orator..
Speciality: Syphilitic diseases. Published on ulcers, sloughing sores and sexually transmitted diseases.
Married Sarah Anne Pearson of Golden Square in 1817. Died 1 Jan 1856 at home, 13 Queen's Gardens, Hyde Park
Educated at Marlborough College and Trinity Hall, Cambridge; graduated 1910 in natural sciences.
Medical student at St George's Hospital; qualified 1905, Allingham scholarship 1906, fellowship 1907. House surgeon, house physician and obstetric assistant at St George's Hospital; assistant surgeon 1910-1918, surgeon 1918-1938, consulting surgeon 1938-1943. Returned to work in 1943-1945; governor of the hospital 1951.
Won Albert Kahn travelling fellowship 1911, and wrote an account of his journey around the world. Served as a captain during the First World War in the RAMC at the 4th London General Hospital, the 54th General Hospital in France and as a surgical specialist at Catterick Camp, Yorkshire. Assistant surgeon at the Royal Waterloo Hospital for Women and Children, surgeon (proctologist) at the Grosvenor Hospital for Women. Examiner in surgery for Cambridge University. Active in Medical Defence Union, council member and president. Private practice in Queen Anne Street and later 4 Park Square West.
Married Barbara Nash; they had one son. Died 13 Jun 1951, aged 71.
Born in Lancashire. Educated at Rossall and Uppingham. Studied arts at St John's College, Cambridge; graduated 1857. Studied medicine at Addenbrook's Hospital and St George's Hospital; MB 1863.
Held junior appointments at the Hospital for Sick Children. Physician to the Western General Dispensary. Spent several winters in southern France due to ill health, with a seasonal practice at St Leonards. Assistant physician to the Hastings, St Leonards and East Sussex Hospital 1871, physician 1882, consulting physician 1907.
Married Frances Boss in 1859 and in 1870 Emily Dickinson, sister of Dr W. Howship Dickinson. Died 2 Nov 1912.
Born at Dunedin, New Zealand in 1868, the son of Captain William Baldwin. He was educated at Dunedin High School and in Germany. After working in a solicitor's office and a bank at Dunedin, he entered the Otago Medical School at the age of twenty. To complete his training he entered St George's Hospital Medical School in 1889 and qualified in 1893.
At St George's Hospital he served as house physician and house surgeon. He held a resident appointment at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. He took the Fellowship at the end of 1894.
He settled at Melbourne, Australia in 1898, buying the practice of Stephen John Burke MRCS in north Melbourne. He was for some years on the staff of St Vincent's Hospital . He later practiced in other parts of Melbourne. For some years he practiced at Richmond and as a consultant in electrotherapy at Collins Street, Melbourne. He later went back to general practice at 183 Burke Road, Glen Iris, Melbourne. During the second world war he served as area medical officer for south-east Melbourne in the Royal Australian Air Force.
He married Ida M. Burke, the daughter of Stephen John Burke MRCS. He died on 8th July 1942, aged 74. He was survived by his wife, their son and three daughters.
Born 17th October 1819. He entered St George's Hospital in 1836.
Banister entered the Bengal Army as Assistant Surgeon on 12th January 1845, being promoted Surgeon in 1858 and Surgeon Major in 1865. He was Deputy Inspector-General of Hospitals from 1871 until his retirement in 1876. He saw active service in the Indian Mutiny, and was present at the seige and capture of Delhi, the operations in Rajputana, and the final campaign in Oudh, for which he received the Medal and Clasp.
He died at Eastbourne on 6th December 1884.
Born in Fife. Educated at the Royal High School, Edinburgh. Spent a winter as a medical student at the Westminster Hospital. Qualified in 1838 and spent time in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France before studying at Caius College, Cambridge 1842; MB 1847.
Medical registrar at St George's Hospital 1847, assistant physician 1857, physician 1862-1882, consulting physician, lecturer on materia medica and physic.
Lumleian lecturer, censor, Harveian orator and treasurer at the Royal College of Physicians. President of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society 1881. Published 'Manual of Medical Diagnosis' 1851, and on heart disease. Chelsea's first medical officer of health, examiner on sanitary science in Cambridge.
Died at Stevenage.
Born in Berkshire.
Student at St George's Hospital 1860; MRCS 1863, LRCP 1864. House surgeon 1865.
Prosector at Royal College of Surgeons. Lived in 22 Cheyne Row, Chelsea
Born in Suffolk. LSA 1869, MRCS, MB London 1870, MD 1873.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1866. Obstetric assistant at St George's Hospital 1871.
Medical officer of health in the Eye Urban District, Suffolk 1873-1913. President of the East Anglian branch of British Medical Association 1888. President of the Norwich Medico-Chirurgical Society 1882. Physician at Glete House Asylum, Aspall. Surgeon Lieutenant at 2nd Suffolk Volunteers. President of the Medical Defence Union 1912-15. County director for Jersey.
Published on infectious diseases.
Retired to Jersey 1918.
Born in Norwich. Son of Harriet Futter and Philip Barnes, architect and founder of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Regent's Park. Educated at home in Norwich and at Bruges, Belgium. Apprenticed to a local surgeon aged 15.
Studied medicine at University College London and St George's Hospital; qualified in 1842. Stayed in Paris for a year teaching English following his qualification before entering general practice at Notting Hill. Assistant obstetric physician at the London Hospital 1859, obstetric physician 1863. Obstetric physician at St Thomas's 1865; lecturer on midwifery. Also worked at the Seamen's Hospital, the East London Hospital for Children and the Royal Maternity Hospital.
Obstetric physician-surgeon 1875-1885 at St George's Hospital, consulting obstetric physician 1885-1907.
Published widely on obstetrics and gynecology. Lettsomian lecturer at the Medical Society of London, Lumleian lecturer and censor at the Royal College of Physicians.
Married twice, first Eliza Fawkener; they had two daughters and a son. Married Alice Maria Hughes in 1880; they had one daughter and one son. Retired to Eastbourne. Died in 1907 aged 90.
Born in London to Richard Barwell FRCS, surgeon to Charing Cross Hospital and Mary Diana Shuttleworth. Educated at Temple Grove and Westminster School, where he was Bishop Williams Exhibitioner, and at St George's Hospital where he held resident posts.
Deciding to specialise as a laryngologist, he became senior clinical assistant at the Golden Square Hospital. After taking the Fellowship in 1901 he was elected to the staff of the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, laryngologist to Mount Vernon Hospital, otolaryngologist surgeon to Hampstead General Hospital, and finally surgeon to St George's throat and ear department.
He was President of the Laryngological Section of the Royal Society of Medicine and published a textbook on Diseases of the Larynx in 1907. He continued in private practice at 39 Queen Anne Street.
He married Evelyn, daughter of James Foster Palmer MRCS in 1907 and their two sons, Alan and Claud, entered the medical profession. He died on 27 May 1959 at Fincham End, Crowthorne, Berkshire aged 83.
Student at St George's Hospital in 1863
Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge 1832-1836. Worked as an apothecary prior to studying medicine at St George's and chemistry at University College, London in 1839. Worked in Giessen, Germany in 1841.
Assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1845-1846, physician 1846-1862, consulting physician 1868-1873.
Described the so-called Bence Jones protein in 1847. Fellow and senior censor at the Royal College of Physicians, fellow of the Royal Society and secretary to the Royal Institution. Applied chemistry to pathology and medicine.
Married Lady Millicent Acheson, his second cousin, in 1842; they had seven children. Died in London on 20 Apr 1873, buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.
Born at Chilmark, near Salisbury. Educated at Weymouth College and St George's Hospital, 1869 after a year with a GP in the country.
Won the Henry Charles Johnson prize for anatomy at St George's Hospital and various other prizes; demonstrator of anatomy 1871. Founded the 'Students' Journal and Hospital Gazette', 1873. Surgical registrar at St George's Hospital 1877. Travelled as Sir Watkin Wynn's medical attendant.
Appointed the first chloroformist of St George's Hospital 1879, a duty previously taken care of by the apothecary. Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1880-1887, surgeon 1887-1905, consulting surgeon 1906-1931; governor and member of the house committee following his retirement in 1905; lecturer of surgery 1877-1899.
Examiner in anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons 1884-1893. Member of the Court of Examiners 1897-1902. Inspector of anatomy for the metropolis. KCVO in 1901. Served at the British Red Cross and the Order of St John during World War I; appointed Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. Commander of the Royal Order of the Redeemer of Greece. Chairman of the Invalid Children's Association. President of the Institute of Hygiene and of the Illuminating Engineers Society.
Married Isobel Lloyd Dickinson (d.1911) and Gladys Florence Hartigan of Monkstown, Co Dublin and St Leonards-on-Sea in 1914 (d.1949). Died in London at 3 Hyde Park Place 24 Dec 1931.
Student at St George's Hospital 1844; MRCS 1849. Surgical registrar and surgeon at St George's Hospital.
Surgeon at St James's Dispensary. Moved to Stroud, Gloucestershire in 1861. Honorary assistant surgeon at Gloucestershire Volunteers. Moved to Minchinhampton near Stroud in 1890. Surgeon at Minchinhampton Dispensary.
Died at Teddington 22 Oct 1898, aged 73.
Educated at Clifton, Bristol. Studied natural sciences at Keble College, Oxford.
Student at St George's Hospital 1897. MA, MB Bch Oxon, MRCS, LRCP. House physician at St George's Hospital.
Died 1 Jul 1902, aged 25.
Grew up in Victoria, Canada. Daughter of Hewitt Bostock. British Columbia senator. Sent to school in England aged 15, educated at Prior's Field, Godalming.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1914. MB, BS Lond 1917. MRCS, LRCP 1917. Surgical registrar, house surgeon, obstetric assistant and resident anaesthetist at St George's Hospital.
House physician at Queen's Hospital for Children in Hackney.
Missionary in India in 1922-1934, where she met her husband Victor Sherman. They moved to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, where she founded the Humanist League of Canada. Chairperson of the mental hygiene committee for the Canadian Council of Women. Canadian Humanist of the Year 1975.
Born in London, son of Dr James William Braine, the first of 11 children.
Studied at St George's Hospital, 1854; house surgeon, surgical registrar, demonstrator of anatomy; private assistant to George Pollock, surgeon at the hospital.
Resident medical officer at the Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street. He was offered the post of chloroformist, which he reluctantly accepted, following the resignation of Henry Potter, chloroformist to St George's Hospital after the death of a patient; Braine took over Potter's practice in Maddox Street, and became an early specialist in the administration of anaesthetics. Anaesthetist to the Dental Hospital in London 1868-1894; vice-president of theh hospital on his retirement. Braine was the first in England to adopt the use of nitrous oxide gas for anaesthesia. Anaesthetist to St Peter's Hospital for Stone. One of the founders and the first president of the Society of Anaesthetics, 1893-1895. Honorary secretary and vice-president of the Medical Society of London. Published on anaesthetics.
Married twice. Died 28 Oct 1907; buried at Harrow.
The son of Richard Bright F.R.C.P, G.C. Educated at Rugby and Balliol College, Oxford, were he graduated with first-class honours in natural science in 1863. He studied medicine at St George's Hospital, and also at Edinburgh and Paris.
His first practice was in London and he held appointments at St George's Hospital as lecturer on comparitive anatomy, and at St George's and St James's Dispensary as physician.
He married in 1869 and soon after left London for the Continent. He practiced for a time in Dresden but in 1875 settled permanently in Cannes. One of the subjects of his research was the condition of the air in hospital wards.
He died on 21st January 1922 in Cannes, survived by his wife and three daughters.