Showing 245 resultsAuthority record
Born at Laverton, Somerset to William Keate, rector. Educated at Bath Grammar School until 1792, when he was apprenticed to his uncle, Thomas Keate, who in 1798 was elected surgeon to St George's Hospital.
Keate entered St George's Hospital in 1793, and was made hospital mate in 1794 and deputy purveyor to the Forces in 1795. In 1798 he became a member of the Surgeons' Corporation and was appointed staff surgeon in the army. In 1800 he was appointed assistant surgeon to his uncle at St George's Hospital, where he succeeded him as surgeon in 1813. He held the post until 1853.
He was serjeant-surgeon extraordinary to King William IV and serjeant-surgeon to Queen Victoria in 1841. At the Royal College of Surgeons he was co-opted to the Court of Assistants in 1822 and president in 1831 and 1839. He acted as examiner from 1827-1855.
He married the youngest daughter of H. Ramus, by whom he had two sons and four daughters. He died in Hertford Street, Mayfair on 2 October 1857.
Born in Maidenhead. Studied at King's College, London, 1833, but transferred to St George's Hospital in 1834. MRCS 1839, FRCS 1844. He was (one of) the first surgical registrars at the hospital, and later curator of the museum and lecturer in physiology.
Assistant surgeon at King's College Hospital 1847. Surgeon to the Lock Hospital. Returned to St George's Hospital as assistant surgeon in 1861 or 1863; surgeon 1868, consulting surgeon 1878-1898
Received the Jacksonian Prize from the Royal College of Surgeons in 1849 for his dissertation on purulent deposits. Member of Council and Hunterian Professor at Royal College of Surgeons. Consulting surgeon to the Lock Hospital and Queen Charlotte's Hospital.
Specialisms: Syphilis. Published on venereal diseases, pathology and diseases of veins.
Married twice, with daughters and a son. Retired 1878. Lived at 9 Savile Row. Died at home in 61 Queensborough Terrace, Hyde Park, London on 11 Jun 1898. His son, Henry Lee, was also a student at St George's Hospital (student no 5225)
Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1830-1840, surgeon 1840-1843. Died after a brief illness 2 Jan 1843, aged 44 at his home on Curzon Street, Mayfair.
Son of James Wilson, surgeon and teacher of anatomy at the Hunterian School in Great Windmill Street. Educated at St Peter's College, Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford, graduating in 1815; AM 1818, MB 1819 and MD 1823. Travelled and worked in Europe in the 1820s, including in Italy as physician to lord and lady Spencer in 1819-1820.
Physician at St George's Hospital 1829-1857, consulting physician 1868-1882, lecturer in anatomy.
Fellow and censor of the Royal College of Physicians 1825; Lumleian lecturer and Harveian orator. Retired 1868; lived in South Holmwood, Dorking. Died 29 Dec 1882.
Educated at Westminster School, Christ Church, Oxford and St George's Hospital.
Assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1841-1845, physician 1845-1867; lecturer.
Lecturer, censor, orator and treasurer at the Royal College of Physicians 1840-1868.
In 1856, married Julia Katherine Keate, the daughter of Robert Keate, serjeant-surgeon to the queen.
Educated at Trinity College, Oxford (BA 1847) and St George's; LRCP 1850, MA and BM 1851 (Oxford), DM 1857, FRCP 1855.
Curator of the museum at St George's Hospital with Henry Gray and lecturer on pathology 1861; assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1857, physician 1866.
Censor at the Royal College of Physicians 1873-74 and 1884, vice-president 1886. Founded and edited with Timothy Holmes St George's Hospital Reports (1866-1879).
Married 1854, five sons, one daughter. Lived at Highgate vicarage with one of his sons in later life. His son, Cyril Ogle, was also a physician at St George's
Educated at Merchant Taylors' school in London and Pembroke College, Cambridge; BA 1847. Student at St George's 1847.
House surgeon and registrar at St George's Hospital, assistant surgeon 1861-1867, surgeon 1867-1887, consulting surgeon 1887-1907; honorary treasurer 1894, vice-president 1904.
Assistant surgeon at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street 1859, surgeon 1861-1868. Chief surgeon to the Metropolitan Police. Hunterian professor of surgery and pathology at the Royal College of Surgeons 1872; examiner 1873-1883. President of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society of London (later merged with the Royal Society of Medicine) and various roles at the Clinical Society and the Pathological Society of London.
Published widely on surgery, including 'Treatise on the Principles and Practice of Surgery', 1875, and edited multiple editions of Gray's Anatomy.
Married to Sarah Brooksbank, no children. Retired in 1887. Died in 1907
Born at Godalming, his family background was Huguenot. Educated at Reading School.
Student at St George's Hospital 1875. LRCP, LSA 1880; MB London 1883, MD 1888, MRCP 1884. House physician at St George's Hospital 1882, curator of the museum 1885-1887, medical registrar 1888-1890.
Published a book on the influenza epidemic of 1889-1890. Examiner in medicine. Private practice at 11 York St, Portman Square?
Died in Florence, Italy in 1904, aged 47.
Studied medicine at St George's Hospital 1860-1863, MRCS and LRCP 1863-1864. Demonstrator of anatomy 1867-1870, surgical registrar 1870-72, demonstrator of morbid anatomy and curator of museum 1873-1875. Assistant surgeon and surgeon to the otrhopaedic department 1875-1880, surgeon and lecturer on surgery and operative surgery 1880-1900. Consulting surgeon 1900, member of the Weekly Board, chairman of the Nursing Committee, treasurer of the Hospital Medical School.
House surgeon at Westminster Hospital 1864. Assistant surgeon to the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street 1870. Surgeon to the Cripples' Nursery 1874-1882. Hunterian lecturer at the Royal College of Surgeons. President of the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society, vice-president of the Clinical and Pathological Societies, president of the Surgical Section of the Royal Society of Medicine. Served on the committee of the Charity Organization Soxiety, on the Mansion House Committee on 'The Dwellings of the Poor', on the Invalid Children's Association and the Society for the Relief of Widows and Orphans of Medical Men. Private practice in London.
Married Amy Caecilia Nicholls in 1876; they had two sons. Retired to Berkhamsted. Died 20 Aug 1921.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1880. MRCS, LRCP, LSA 1885. House physician at St George's Hospital 1886, resident obstetric assistant 1888.
House surgeon at West London Hospital 1887. Surgeon at Dover Post Office and Dover Hospital. Member of council of the Obstetrical Society of London.
Son of William Howship Dickinson, physician at St George's. Educated at Winchester and Caius College, Cambridge.
Studied medicine at St George's Hospital; qualified 1886, MB 1890; 'junior roles'. Assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1894; lecturer on forensic medicine 1898.
Assistant physician at the Hospital for Sick Children 1889-1894. Spent several months in 1898 in South Africa due to pulmonary tuberculosis.
Died at Tintagel, Cornwall, in 1904, aged 40.
Son of William White Cooper. Educated at Marlborough and Trinity College, Cambridge. BA 1880, MA, MB 1885. MRCP 1890.
Studied medicine at St George's Hospital 1881. House physician at St George's Hospital 1885, assistant medical registrar.
Clinical assistant at Golden Square Throat Hospital. Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine. Private practice in London.
Born in London, baptised in Saint George's Church, Hanover Square. Educated at Sherborne School.
Student at St George's Hospital; MRCS and LRCP 1887. MD and DPH at Durham University in 1904. Senior house surgeon, house physician and obstetric asssistant at St George's Hospital. Returned to St George's during WWI as surgeon to the out-patient department, where he worked for four years without a break, and was appointed honorary governor of the hospital.
Resident medical officer at the Chelsea Hospital for Women. Clinical assistant at the Victoria Hospital for Children. Honorary medical officer for the National Children's Adoption Society. Private practice at Chester Square and Ashley Gardens.
Married Elizabeth Frances Shaw Woodgate in 1905; they had a son, Richard Eric Woodgate Beaumont Comerford, who also studied at St George's and became an anaesthetist. B.H. Comeford died 15 Jul 1947 in London.
Educated at Beaumont College, Windsor and in Germany. Studied at Durham and St George's Hospital.
House surgeon at St George's Hospital, 1877. Later a member of the Committee of Management, and Temporary Assistant Physician during WWI. Worked as a GP; private practice at 12 Seville Street, Lowndes Square. Surgeon to the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth. Medical adviser to the Egyptian Civil Service, Member of the Medical Commissioners' Board.
Married Lucy Keith in 1887. They had two daughters and one son, Captain Archibald Cahill, who was killed in action in 1917. He died 6 Sep 1919.
Born in Calcutta, but educated at Dulwich and St Christ's College Cambridge, and later St George's Hospital in 1882. He became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1885, a licentiate of the sister college in 1886, and took his doctor's degree at Cambridge in 1890, becoming a member of the Royal College of Physicians immediately afterwards.
He was house physician to St George's Hospital in 1887, obstetric assistant during 1889, and in 1894 he was elected assistant obstetric physician.
He was also appointed obstetric physician to the Great Northern Hospital, which he continued until his death in 1898.
Born in Cheshire, son of a Liverpool merchant. Educated at Hereford Cathedral School and Caius College, Cambridge 1877; BA 1881 in natural sciences.
House surgeon and surgical registrar at St George's Hospital from 1881, until he moved temporarily to Switzerland due to tuberculosis. On his return to England, he worked as an assistant to Sir William Dalby and as a surgeon to the Belgrave Hospital for Children.
Appointed aural surgeon and lecturer on aural surgery at St George's Hospital in 1892, following Dalby, and consulting aural surgeon in 1912.
Married Amy Flemmick of Roehampton in 1895; they had one daughter. He died 24 Feb 1933.
Born in Berkshire.
Student at St George's Hospital 1860; MRCS 1863, LRCP 1864. House surgeon 1865.
Prosector at Royal College of Surgeons. Lived in 22 Cheyne Row, Chelsea
Born in Norwich. Son of Harriet Futter and Philip Barnes, architect and founder of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Regent's Park. Educated at home in Norwich and at Bruges, Belgium. Apprenticed to a local surgeon aged 15.
Studied medicine at University College London and St George's Hospital; qualified in 1842. Stayed in Paris for a year teaching English following his qualification before entering general practice at Notting Hill. Assistant obstetric physician at the London Hospital 1859, obstetric physician 1863. Obstetric physician at St Thomas's 1865; lecturer on midwifery. Also worked at the Seamen's Hospital, the East London Hospital for Children and the Royal Maternity Hospital.
Obstetric physician-surgeon 1875-1885 at St George's Hospital, consulting obstetric physician 1885-1907.
Published widely on obstetrics and gynecology. Lettsomian lecturer at the Medical Society of London, Lumleian lecturer and censor at the Royal College of Physicians.
Married twice, first Eliza Fawkener; they had two daughters and a son. Married Alice Maria Hughes in 1880; they had one daughter and one son. Retired to Eastbourne. Died in 1907 aged 90.
Born in London to Richard Barwell FRCS, surgeon to Charing Cross Hospital and Mary Diana Shuttleworth. Educated at Temple Grove and Westminster School, where he was Bishop Williams Exhibitioner, and at St George's Hospital where he held resident posts.
Deciding to specialise as a laryngologist, he became senior clinical assistant at the Golden Square Hospital. After taking the Fellowship in 1901 he was elected to the staff of the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, laryngologist to Mount Vernon Hospital, otolaryngologist surgeon to Hampstead General Hospital, and finally surgeon to St George's throat and ear department.
He was President of the Laryngological Section of the Royal Society of Medicine and published a textbook on Diseases of the Larynx in 1907. He continued in private practice at 39 Queen Anne Street.
He married Evelyn, daughter of James Foster Palmer MRCS in 1907 and their two sons, Alan and Claud, entered the medical profession. He died on 27 May 1959 at Fincham End, Crowthorne, Berkshire aged 83.
Born at the Friary, Newark on 4th February 1822. In 1840 he was articled at the Royal College of Surgeons to John Goldwyer Andrews at the London Hospital. After qualifying he was appointed House Surgeon. After a year he attended hospitals in Paris and later Vienna where he studied opthalmic surgery and pathological anatomy. He later travelled to Prague, Berlin, Pavia, Pisa, Florence and Rome.
Returning to London, he was elected in 1852 a Surgeon on the staff of the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, and in 1862 he was elected Assistant Surgeon at St George's Hospital, and later Surgeon with Orthopaedic Wards until 1874. By the time of his death he was Surgeon to the Orthopaedic Hospital, and for a time he was Lecturer on Orthopaedic Surgery at St George's. He was on the staff of the Royal Hospital for Incurables, and Consulting Surgeon of the Belgrave Hospital for Children. For many years he had the chief orthopaedic practice in England.
He was an Associate of the Academy of Sciences of Rome, and Corresponding Member of the Medical Scieties of Lyons, Odessa and Rome, of the Chirurgical Society of Paris, and of the American Orthopaedic Association.
He died on 20th January 1900.