Showing 246 resultsAuthority record
Born in London. Educated at Winchester College, Brasenose College, Oxford and St Bartholomew's Hospital; BM 1875, MD 1888. Radcliffe travelling fellowship at Oxford University 1872; studied at Vienna, Leipzig and Dresden.
Assistant obstetric physician at St George's Hospital 1880-1885; obstetric physician 1885-1891.
Obstetric physician to the General Lying-in Hospital, York Road. Physician accoucheur to St Bartholomew's Hospital 1891-1913.
Fellow of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society and the Royal College of Physicians. President of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1912. Campaigned for raising the status of midwives; first chairman of the Central Midwives' Board 1902-1930; campaigned for the Midwives Act 1902. Crown nominee 1911-1926 of the General Medical Council. Baronet 1910. Involved in founding the British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in 1929.
Married Virginia Julian Dalrymple in 1876; they had three sons and one daughter. Died 31 Jul 1930 aged 83 at his home in Nutley, Sussex, and buried at Hampstead cemetery. His son Weldon Dalrymple-Champneys was also a physician.
Born at Sandgate, Kent. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1872. House surgeon at St George's Hospital 1876; demonstrator of anatomy, surgical registrar, joint lecturer in physiology, lecturer in practical surgery, demonstrator of operative surgery. Assistant surgeon 1880-1895, surgeon 1895-1912. Chairman of the Medical School Committee.
Magister Chirurgiae in 1899. Examiner in surgery at the University of Cambridge. Surgeon to the Belgrave Hospital for Children. Chief surgeon to the Metropolitan Police in 1904. Secretary to the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society 1901-1904, president of the Surgical section of the Royal Society of Medicine, secretary and vice-president of the Medical Society of London. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons; Hunterian professor, member of the Court of Examiners, member of the Council, senior vice-president. Travelled to South Africa for the Second Boer War in 1899; acted as correspondent to the British Medical Journal.
He was an active mountaineer in his free time. He never married. Died unexpectedly of septic poisoning 26 Aug 1912, and was buried at Kensal Green.
Student at St George's Hospital 1884. House surgeon at St George's Hospital 1888.
House surgeon and assistant surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital. Demonstrator of anatomy at the University of Cambridge. Private practice in Surrey.
Educated at Marlborough College and Trinity Hall, Cambridge; graduated 1910 in natural sciences.
Medical student at St George's Hospital; qualified 1905, Allingham scholarship 1906, fellowship 1907. House surgeon, house physician and obstetric assistant at St George's Hospital; assistant surgeon 1910-1918, surgeon 1918-1938, consulting surgeon 1938-1943. Returned to work in 1943-1945; governor of the hospital 1951.
Won Albert Kahn travelling fellowship 1911, and wrote an account of his journey around the world. Served as a captain during the First World War in the RAMC at the 4th London General Hospital, the 54th General Hospital in France and as a surgical specialist at Catterick Camp, Yorkshire. Assistant surgeon at the Royal Waterloo Hospital for Women and Children, surgeon (proctologist) at the Grosvenor Hospital for Women. Examiner in surgery for Cambridge University. Active in Medical Defence Union, council member and president. Private practice in Queen Anne Street and later 4 Park Square West.
Married Barbara Nash; they had one son. Died 13 Jun 1951, aged 71.
Born in London, son of Dr James William Braine, the first of 11 children.
Studied at St George's Hospital, 1854; house surgeon, surgical registrar, demonstrator of anatomy; private assistant to George Pollock, surgeon at the hospital.
Resident medical officer at the Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street. He was offered the post of chloroformist, which he reluctantly accepted, following the resignation of Henry Potter, chloroformist to St George's Hospital after the death of a patient; Braine took over Potter's practice in Maddox Street, and became an early specialist in the administration of anaesthetics. Anaesthetist to the Dental Hospital in London 1868-1894; vice-president of theh hospital on his retirement. Braine was the first in England to adopt the use of nitrous oxide gas for anaesthesia. Anaesthetist to St Peter's Hospital for Stone. One of the founders and the first president of the Society of Anaesthetics, 1893-1895. Honorary secretary and vice-president of the Medical Society of London. Published on anaesthetics.
Married twice. Died 28 Oct 1907; buried at Harrow.
Born at Laverton, Somerset to William Keate, rector. Educated at Bath Grammar School until 1792, when he was apprenticed to his uncle, Thomas Keate, who in 1798 was elected surgeon to St George's Hospital.
Keate entered St George's Hospital in 1793, and was made hospital mate in 1794 and deputy purveyor to the Forces in 1795. In 1798 he became a member of the Surgeons' Corporation and was appointed staff surgeon in the army. In 1800 he was appointed assistant surgeon to his uncle at St George's Hospital, where he succeeded him as surgeon in 1813. He held the post until 1853.
He was serjeant-surgeon extraordinary to King William IV and serjeant-surgeon to Queen Victoria in 1841. At the Royal College of Surgeons he was co-opted to the Court of Assistants in 1822 and president in 1831 and 1839. He acted as examiner from 1827-1855.
He married the youngest daughter of H. Ramus, by whom he had two sons and four daughters. He died in Hertford Street, Mayfair on 2 October 1857.
Born in Maidenhead. Studied at King's College, London, 1833, but transferred to St George's Hospital in 1834. MRCS 1839, FRCS 1844. He was (one of) the first surgical registrars at the hospital, and later curator of the museum and lecturer in physiology.
Assistant surgeon at King's College Hospital 1847. Surgeon to the Lock Hospital. Returned to St George's Hospital as assistant surgeon in 1861 or 1863; surgeon 1868, consulting surgeon 1878-1898
Received the Jacksonian Prize from the Royal College of Surgeons in 1849 for his dissertation on purulent deposits. Member of Council and Hunterian Professor at Royal College of Surgeons. Consulting surgeon to the Lock Hospital and Queen Charlotte's Hospital.
Specialisms: Syphilis. Published on venereal diseases, pathology and diseases of veins.
Married twice, with daughters and a son. Retired 1878. Lived at 9 Savile Row. Died at home in 61 Queensborough Terrace, Hyde Park, London on 11 Jun 1898. His son, Henry Lee, was also a student at St George's Hospital (student no 5225)
Assistant surgeon at St George's Hospital 1830-1840, surgeon 1840-1843. Died after a brief illness 2 Jan 1843, aged 44 at his home on Curzon Street, Mayfair.
Son of James Wilson, surgeon and teacher of anatomy at the Hunterian School in Great Windmill Street. Educated at St Peter's College, Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford, graduating in 1815; AM 1818, MB 1819 and MD 1823. Travelled and worked in Europe in the 1820s, including in Italy as physician to lord and lady Spencer in 1819-1820.
Physician at St George's Hospital 1829-1857, consulting physician 1868-1882, lecturer in anatomy.
Fellow and censor of the Royal College of Physicians 1825; Lumleian lecturer and Harveian orator. Retired 1868; lived in South Holmwood, Dorking. Died 29 Dec 1882.
Educated at Westminster School, Christ Church, Oxford and St George's Hospital.
Assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1841-1845, physician 1845-1867; lecturer.
Lecturer, censor, orator and treasurer at the Royal College of Physicians 1840-1868.
In 1856, married Julia Katherine Keate, the daughter of Robert Keate, serjeant-surgeon to the queen.
Educated at Trinity College, Oxford (BA 1847) and St George's; LRCP 1850, MA and BM 1851 (Oxford), DM 1857, FRCP 1855.
Curator of the museum at St George's Hospital with Henry Gray and lecturer on pathology 1861; assistant physician at St George's Hospital 1857, physician 1866.
Censor at the Royal College of Physicians 1873-74 and 1884, vice-president 1886. Founded and edited with Timothy Holmes St George's Hospital Reports (1866-1879).
Married 1854, five sons, one daughter. Lived at Highgate vicarage with one of his sons in later life. His son, Cyril Ogle, was also a physician at St George's