Showing 245 resultsAuthority record
Born in London. Educated at Winchester College, Brasenose College, Oxford and St Bartholomew's Hospital; BM 1875, MD 1888. Radcliffe travelling fellowship at Oxford University 1872; studied at Vienna, Leipzig and Dresden.
Assistant obstetric physician at St George's Hospital 1880-1885; obstetric physician 1885-1891.
Obstetric physician to the General Lying-in Hospital, York Road. Physician accoucheur to St Bartholomew's Hospital 1891-1913.
Fellow of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society and the Royal College of Physicians. President of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1912. Campaigned for raising the status of midwives; first chairman of the Central Midwives' Board 1902-1930; campaigned for the Midwives Act 1902. Crown nominee 1911-1926 of the General Medical Council. Baronet 1910. Involved in founding the British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in 1929.
Married Virginia Julian Dalrymple in 1876; they had three sons and one daughter. Died 31 Jul 1930 aged 83 at his home in Nutley, Sussex, and buried at Hampstead cemetery. His son Weldon Dalrymple-Champneys was also a physician.
Born at Sandgate, Kent. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge.
Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1872. House surgeon at St George's Hospital 1876; demonstrator of anatomy, surgical registrar, joint lecturer in physiology, lecturer in practical surgery, demonstrator of operative surgery. Assistant surgeon 1880-1895, surgeon 1895-1912. Chairman of the Medical School Committee.
Magister Chirurgiae in 1899. Examiner in surgery at the University of Cambridge. Surgeon to the Belgrave Hospital for Children. Chief surgeon to the Metropolitan Police in 1904. Secretary to the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society 1901-1904, president of the Surgical section of the Royal Society of Medicine, secretary and vice-president of the Medical Society of London. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons; Hunterian professor, member of the Court of Examiners, member of the Council, senior vice-president. Travelled to South Africa for the Second Boer War in 1899; acted as correspondent to the British Medical Journal.
He was an active mountaineer in his free time. He never married. Died unexpectedly of septic poisoning 26 Aug 1912, and was buried at Kensal Green.
Student at St George's Hospital 1884. House surgeon at St George's Hospital 1888.
House surgeon and assistant surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital. Demonstrator of anatomy at the University of Cambridge. Private practice in Surrey.
Educated at Marlborough College and Trinity Hall, Cambridge; graduated 1910 in natural sciences.
Medical student at St George's Hospital; qualified 1905, Allingham scholarship 1906, fellowship 1907. House surgeon, house physician and obstetric assistant at St George's Hospital; assistant surgeon 1910-1918, surgeon 1918-1938, consulting surgeon 1938-1943. Returned to work in 1943-1945; governor of the hospital 1951.
Won Albert Kahn travelling fellowship 1911, and wrote an account of his journey around the world. Served as a captain during the First World War in the RAMC at the 4th London General Hospital, the 54th General Hospital in France and as a surgical specialist at Catterick Camp, Yorkshire. Assistant surgeon at the Royal Waterloo Hospital for Women and Children, surgeon (proctologist) at the Grosvenor Hospital for Women. Examiner in surgery for Cambridge University. Active in Medical Defence Union, council member and president. Private practice in Queen Anne Street and later 4 Park Square West.
Married Barbara Nash; they had one son. Died 13 Jun 1951, aged 71.
Born in London, son of Dr James William Braine, the first of 11 children.
Studied at St George's Hospital, 1854; house surgeon, surgical registrar, demonstrator of anatomy; private assistant to George Pollock, surgeon at the hospital.
Resident medical officer at the Children's Hospital, Great Ormond Street. He was offered the post of chloroformist, which he reluctantly accepted, following the resignation of Henry Potter, chloroformist to St George's Hospital after the death of a patient; Braine took over Potter's practice in Maddox Street, and became an early specialist in the administration of anaesthetics. Anaesthetist to the Dental Hospital in London 1868-1894; vice-president of theh hospital on his retirement. Braine was the first in England to adopt the use of nitrous oxide gas for anaesthesia. Anaesthetist to St Peter's Hospital for Stone. One of the founders and the first president of the Society of Anaesthetics, 1893-1895. Honorary secretary and vice-president of the Medical Society of London. Published on anaesthetics.
Married twice. Died 28 Oct 1907; buried at Harrow.
Born in Notting Hill, London on 10th March 1853 to Charles Maynard Frost, FRCS. He was educated at Kensington Grammar School and entered St George's Hospital in 1872, where he was prizeman in 1874.
Frost served as House Surgeon at the North Staffordshire Infirmary, and then returned to St George's Hospital, where he was house surgeon and demonstrator of anatomy. Having decided to practice as an opthalmic surgeon he became a clinical assistant at Moorfields Hospital, and opthalmic registrar at St George's Hospital. In 1881 he was elected assistant opthalmic surgeon to the Hospital, and was surgeon from 1892 until his retirement in 1906. He was the first opthalmic surgeon at the Victoria Hospital for Children in Tite Street, Chelsea from 1887 to 1890. He won the Middlemore prize of the British Medical Association in 1882 and again in 1886, was honorary librarian of the Opthalmological Society, and was lecturer on opthalmic surgery at St George's Hospital. On his retirement he was made consulting opthalmic surgeon to St George's Hospital and to the Royal Westminster Opthalmic Hospital.
Frost married Minnie D. Anderson in 1881, they had no children. He died on the 25th October 1935 at Lansdowne Crescent, London.
Born 1863 to Deputy Surgeon-General William Johnston Fyffe RAMC. He was educated at Cambridge and St George's Hospital, graduating BA in 1885 and MB and BC in 1890, also taking the LSA in 1890, and the MRCP Lond. in 1893.
Fyffe served as house physician and medical registrar at St George's Hospital, and later assistant physician and pathologist at the Victoria Park Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. He went to New Zealand where he settled in practice at Wellington. He served at Gallipoli as medical officer with the 4th New Zealand contingent.
Fyffe died at Wellington, New Zealand, on 3rd April 1920.
Born in Adelaide, Australia. Educated at St Peter's College, Adelaide.
Moved to London to start a business, and entered St George's Hospital as a student in 1885. House surgeon 1891, ophthalmic and orthopaedic assistant. Resident medical officer 1892-1897, superintendent and visiting surgeon at the Atkinson Morley Convalescent Home, Wimbledon. Surgical registrar and demonstrator of anatomy 1897, assistant surgeon 1898, surgeon 1905. Lecturer on anatomy, lecturer to the nurses, dean of the Medical School. Consulting surgeon 1914.
Surgeon to the Belgrave Hospital for Children, the National Industrial Home for Crippled Boys in Kensington. Secretary to the Society for the Study of Diseases of Children.
Retired in 1914 due to ill health and moved to Fowey, Cornwall, where he was the honorary secretary to the Cottage Hospital and surgeon to the Fowey Auxiliary Hospital for wounded officers. Died in Fowey 20 May 1919.
Son of a vicar, educated at St Paul's School.
Studied medicine at St George's Hospital 1895. House surgeon, house physician, surgical registrar and obstetric assistant at St George's Hospital; assistant surgeon and lecturer in operative surgery 1905.
Clinical assistant at St Peter's Hospital for Stone. Assistant surgeon at the Seamen's Hospital, Greenwich. Teacher of operative surgery at the London School of Clinical Medicine.
Gave up most of his work in 1910 due to ill health. Chief examining surgeon to the Great Central Railway 1919. Served in the Observer Corps during the Second World War.
Never married. Died at home at Beaconsfield 11 Jul 1949, aged 71.
Educated at St George's Hospital. He was assistant to the opthalmic surgeon and to the surgical registrar, demonstrator of anatomy and of operative surgery, assistant to the medical registrar and the dental surgeon, assistant house surgeon, assistant house physician; then house surgeon, house physician, and surgical registrar.
In 1893 he was Prosector at the Royal College of Surgeons and Clinical Assistant at the Victoria Hospital for Children, Chelsea. At the time of his death Keyser was senior assistant surgeon at the Cancer Hospital, London, and consulting surgeon at the Eliot Memorial Cottage Hospital, Haywards Heath.
Born at Cambridge, the son of P.W. Latham, FRCP, Downing professor of medicine and his wife Jemima McDiarmid. Educated at Fettes, and passed a year at Edinburgh University before attending Balliol College, Oxford, where he obtained first class honours in natural science in 1892. At the same time he was a member of King's College, Cambridge. He qualified from St George's Hospital in 1894, winning the Radcliffe travelling fellowship in 1895, and continued his studies at Vienna, Heidelberg and Berlin.
In 1898 he was promoted to Assistant Physician at St George's Hospital and Physician in 1905 became Physician. He served as Dean of the School from 1902-1904.
He was also Assistant Physician to the Victoria Hospital for Children from 1897 to 1900 and to the Brompton Hospital from 1900 to 1909, resigning from the latter on becoming Physician to the Mount Vernon Hospital for Tuberculosis. He was the author of The Diagnosis and Modern Treatment of Pulmonary Consumption (1903) and edited a System of Treatment (1912). He contibuted towards the foundation of the Royal Society of Medicine in 1907.
He died in Primrose Hill, London on 15 March 1923.
Educated at Christ's Hospital (the Bluecoat School).
Studied medicine at St George's Hospital. House surgeon 1861.
House surgeon at the Salisbury Infirmary 1862. Private practice in Salisbury in 1869. Surgeon to the St Nicholas Hospital and honorary physician to the infirmary from 1847. Assistant surgeon in the Wiltshire Rifle Volunteers 1869; Brigade Surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel 1891-1898. Advocate of ambulance traning; conducted classes for the police and railway staff. Member of the Southern Branch of the British Medical Association. President of the Salisbury Medical Society. Honorary Medical Officer to St Mary's Home.
Died of pneumonia following influenza on 12 Apr 1899. Buried in the Cathedral Cloisters in Salisbury.
Son of Robert Lee, physician and surgeon. Educated at King's College School and Brighton College. Studied natural sciences at Caius College, Cambridge; BA 1863. Studied medicine at St George's Hospital and St Thomas's Hospital and at Paris; MB 1865.
Physician to the Western General Infirmary. Lecturer on forensic medicine and pathology at the Westminster Hospital. Assistant physician and physician to the Hospital for Sick Children.
Assistant obstetric physician at St George's Hospital. Lecturer on obstetric medicine.
Fellow and Galstonian lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians. Resigned his fellowship in 1902 'to give attention to the development of some patents'.
Married, with two daughters. Died at West Drayton, 17 Nov 1924.
Educated at Epsom. Studied medicine at St George's Hospital, 1861. Diploma of the Royal College of Physicians of London and the Royal College of Surgeons of England 1865.
House surgeon, surgical registrar and chloroformist at St George's Hospital 1865-1870.
Joined his father in his private practice, continuing the practice after the death of his father. Surgeon to the Chiswick and Turnham Green Dispensary.
Died suddenly of apoplexy 25 Jun 1895 when boarding a steamer to cross from Glasgow to Ireland.
Two of his brothers were also students at St George's Hospital, T. Leigh (student number 4691) and Frederick Leigh (student number 5137).
Born in Cheshire. Educated at Malvern and Manchester University.
Student at St George's Hospital 1897. MD Victoria (Manchester) 1901, MB Bach 1900, MRCS, LRCP 1900, MRCP 1905, FRCS 1902.
Obstetric surgeon at Victoria Home. Examiner at Central Midwives' Board. MO at Cheltenham Ladies' College. Temporary captain at RAMC. Served in Egypt and France during the First World War. RMO at Queen Charlotte's Lying-In Hospital. House surgeon at Soho Square Hospital for Woman. House surgeon at Manchester Hospital for Children, Pendlebury. Editor of 'Nall's Aids to Obstetrics' (7th ed, 1909). Author of 'The Puerperium' (1906) and 'Manual for Midwives' (1908).
Died 13 Jul 1952.
Born at Sherwood. Educated at Retford and Nottingham. Studied natural sciences at Peterhouse, Cambridge 1906-1909, and medicine at St Thomas's Hospital. Casualty officer, house surgeon, resident anaesthetist and clinical assistant in the Ear Department at St Thomas's Hospital.
Resident assistant surgeon 1915, surgical registrar 1916 at St George's Hospital.
Surgical specialist at Salonika during WWI as Major RAMC. Appointed orthopaedic surgeon at Springfield Park Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Liverpool in 1919; senior assistant surgeon at Queen Mary's Hospital, Carshalton in 1920; medical superintendent Metropolitan Asylums Board of St Luke's Hospital, Lowestoft, for the treatment of surgical tuberculosis in 1922.
He died unmarried at St Luke's Hospital on August 12th, 1928.
Born at Plymouth in 1884, the son of Henry Oram and Emily Kate Bardens. Oram was educated at Dulwich College and entered St George's Hospital in 1900. He also studied at St Bartholomew's Hospital.
At St George's Hospital he was William Brown exhibitioner and a prizeman in 1907. He served the hospital as house surgeon, house physician, resident obstetric assistant and surgical registrar. He also acted as clinical assistant at the Evelina Hospital and the Victoria Hospital for Children.
During the first world war he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps, being commissioned a temporary captain in 1917. He then settled in practice at 43 Lee Terrace, and afterwards at 6 Lee Road, Blackheath, London. He was a temporary surgeon at the Miller Hospital, Greenwich.
He married Evelyn Mary Trethowan in 1924 and they had two sons. He died at Blackheath on 19th December 1943.
Educated in private schools at Tooting and Ealing. Trinity College, Cambridge 1827-1832, with a degree in arts. Travelled in Europe before studying medicine at Cambridge, St George's and King's College, London.
Assistant physician 1846-1857, physician 1857-1866, consultant physician 1866-1908 at St George's Hospital; Lecturer on materia medica and medicine.
Duke of Grafton's private physician in 1842. Censor and registrar at the Royal College of Physicians. Knighthood in 1883 for his role in the Conjoint Board examination. Representative of the RCP on the General Medical Council; treasurer of the GMC.
Married Frances Wildman in 1852. They had three sons and four daughters. Retired 1889.
Born on 3rd September 1829 in Nantes, the son of John Francis Power, a Captain in the 35th (Royal) Sussex Regiment, and his wife Hannah. Educated at Cheltenham College until he was apprenticed in 1844 to Thomas Lowe Wheeler, Apothecary to St Bartholomew's Hospital, and then to his son Thomas Rivington Wheeler. Power won the Galen and Linnean Silver Medals at the Society of Apothecaries in 1851. In 1844 he entered St Bartholomew's Hospital and he matriculated at the University of London.
Power was Demonstrator of Anatomy at the Westminster Hospital and in 1855 was elected Assistant Surgeon to the Westminster Opthalmic Hospital. In 1857 he became Assistant Surgeon to the Westminster Hospital where he also lectured on comparative anatomy, human anatomy and physiology. He was elected Opthalmic Surgeon to St George's Hospital in 1867, and in 1870 he was appointed Opthalmic Surgeon at St Bartholomew's Hospital.
Power was Vice-President, Bowman Lecturer and President of the Opthalmological Society of the United Kingdon. He was a member of the Board of Examiners in Anatomy and Physiology at the Royal College of Surgeons, and Vice-President at the College in 1885. He served as Professor of Physiology at the Royal Veterinary College, and also served on the board of the Harveian Society, the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society and the British Medical Association.
He married Ann Simpson in 1854. He died at Bagdale Hall, Whitby, on 18th January 1911. He was survived by his wife, four sons and three daughters.