Showing 388 results

Authority record

Hewett, Prescott Gardner

  • Person
  • 1812-1891

Born near Doncaster, the son of a country gentleman. Studied art in Paris, intending to become a painter, but chose to study surgery instead.

Student at St George's Hospital Medical School. House surgeon 1838, demonstrator of anatomy and the first curator of the museum at St George's Hospital, possibly in 1840[?]. Hewett set up the system for recording post mortem examinations at the hospital. Lecturer on anatomy 1845. Assistant surgeon 1848-1861, surgeon 1861-1875, consulting surgeon 1875-1891.

FRCS 1843. President of the Pathological Society of London and the Clinical Society. Arris and Gale Professor of Human Anatomy and Physiology, member of the council, chairman of the Board of Examiners in Midwifery, vice-president and president of the Royal College of Surgeons. Surgeon-extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1867, sergeant-surgeon extraordinary 1877 and sergeant-surgeon following Caesar Hawkins 1884. Surgeon to Prince of Wales, afterwards King Edward VII. Baronet 1883.

Specialisms: Anatomy, head injuries.

Married Sarah Cowell in 1849; they had two daughters and one son. Died 19 Jun 1891 at Horsham, where he had retired to. He gifted his collection of water colour paintings 'to the nation' in 1891.

Pick, Thomas Pickering

  • Person
  • 1841-1919

Born in Liverpool, the son of merchant Thomas Pickering Pick. Educated at the Royal Institution School, Liverpool.

Student at St George's Hospital Medical School 1857. House surgeon 1863, surgical registrar and demonstrator of anatomy 1864-1866, curator of the museum 1866-1869. Assistant surgeon 1869-1878, surgeon 1878-1898, consulting surgeon 1898-1919.

HM Inspector of Anatomy for England and Wales. Surgeon at the Belgrave Hospital, the Victoria Hospital for Children 1886-1891 and the Home for Incurables. Examiner in anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons and the Court of Examiners in Surgery. Hunterian Professor of Surgery and Pathology 1894. Member of the Council at the RCS, vice-president 1898-1899.

Edited the 10th-16th editions of Gray's 'Anatomy'. Edited the 5th edition of the 'Treatise on Surgery, its Principles and Practice' by Timothy Holmes, 1888. Wrote 'Fractures and Dislocations, excluding Fractures of the Skull', 1885 and 'Surgery, a Treatise for Students and Practitioners', 1899 and published on the surgery of children's diseases and wounds.

Married Adeline Lawrence. Two of their sons became doctors. Retired to the Nook, Great Bookham, Surrey. Died on 6 Sep 1919

Torrens, James Aubrey

  • Person
  • 1881-1954

Son of Henry C. Torrens, business manager to Sir Beerbohm Tree, and grandson of Henry McCullagh Torrens, secretary and biographer of Lord Melbourne and Member of Parliament for Fulham. He was educated at St Paul's School and St George's Hospital where he gained the general proficiency prize in 1902 and the Brodie surgical prize in 1904.

At St George's Hospital he was house physician, house surgeon, medical registrar and curator of the museum. Following posts as pathologist to the Margaret Street Hospital, bacteriologist to the Hampstead General Hospital, and physician to the Paddington Green Children's Hospital, he was appointed to St George's Hospital as assistant physician in 1913.

Torrens joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in August 1914 and served in France and Mesopotamia. On his return in 1919 he resumed his appointment at St George's, where he became full physician in 1923. He was also consultant to both Chelsea Hospital for Women and the Harrow Hospital. During the Second World War he worked at the West Middlesex Hospital and remained there until his retirement in 1949. He was also an examiner for the Conjoint Board, the Society of Apothecaries, Oxford University and the College.

He was married twice; first in 1910 to Hilda Martin, and after her death in 1944, to Edith Chapman who survived him. He had one daughter of the first marriage. He died on 23rd August 1954.

Whipham, Thomas Tillyer

  • Person
  • 1839-1917

Educated at Rugby and Oriel College, Oxford, graduating in 1861.

Studied medicine at St George's, BM 1866. Demonstrator of anatomy 1869, curator of the museum 1870, assistant physician 1872-1876, physician 1876-1896, consulting physician 1896-1917; dean of the medical school 1888-1893.

Specialisms: Laryngology

Examiner in medicine for Oxford University. Senior censor at the Royal College of Physicians. Prime arden of the Goldsmiths' Company.

Married Florence Tanqueray; they had one son. Retired to Devon in 1904. Died 3 Nov 1917.

Roderick, Henry Buckley

  • Person
  • 1874-1958

Born on 19th August 1874, the son of William Roderick of Llanelly. He was educated at Bath College, Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and St George's Hospital.

At St George's Hospital he held the posts of House Physician, House Surgeon and Surgical Registrar. In 1900 he returned to Cambridge to act as demonstrator in surgery for Joseph Griffiths, surgeon to Addenbrooke's Hospital. In 1917 Roderick set up in practice and was appointed police surgeon.

In 1901 Roderick had become medical officer to the University Rife Volunteers (later the Cambridge University Officers Training Corps) and he became the commander of the medical contingent. In 1914 he was commissioned Major RAMC attached to the 1st Eastern General Hospital. In 1917 he was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel and went to France in command of the 55th General Hospital, for which he was awarded the OBE and Territorial Decoration.

On returning to Cambridge in 1919 he was appointed honorary surgeon to Addenbrooke's Hospital and from 1928 to 1939 he was supervisor of examinations and examiner in surgery for the University. He retired in 1939. Roderick was a general surgeon, but particularly interested in orthopaedics, for which he established clinics at the hospitals in Huntingdon and Wisbech.

He married Hilda Mary Clay and they had four sons and three daughters. He died on 29th August 1958 in Addenbrooke's hospital aged 84.

Dickinson, Edward Harriman

  • Person
  • 1843-1901

Born in Liverpool, the son of Joseph Dickinson, FRCP, FRS. Educated at Liverpool Royal Institution School and Cheltenham College. Studied arts at Trinity College, Oxford, and medicine at Oxford, Edinburgh and St George's.

Qualified from Edinburgh in 1869. Held house appointments at St George's Hospital and at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Appointed physician to the Northern Hospital in Liverpool in 1872. Lecturer on comparative anatomy at the Royal Infirmary School of Medicine. Consulting physician to the School for the Blind.

Married twice, with a son and daughter from his first marriage and a son from his second marriage.

Brodie, Benjamin Collins

  • Person
  • 1783-1826

Born in Wiltshire 9 Jun 1783, son of Rev Peter Bellinger Brodie and Sarah Collins. His uncle was Thomas Denman, physician and obstetrician, alumnus of St George's and father-in-law of Matthew Baillie.

Student at Charterhouse School in London and St Bartholomew's under John Abernethy in 1801, Windmill Street School of Anatomy in 1802 under John Hunter and at St George's under Everard Home in 1803. Appointed house surgeon at St George's in 1805, assistant surgeon in 1808, surgeon in 1822. Lectured on surgery at the Windmill Street School of Anatomy.

Private practice since 1813. Surgeon to the royal family, initially George IV; sergeant-surgeon to William IV and Queen Victoria. Baronetcy 1834. Member of the Royal College of Surgeons 1805; fellow of the Royal Society 1810, aged 26, and president 1858; foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Science 1834; corresponding member of the French Institute 1844; foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences; DCL of Oxford 1855; first president of the General Medical Council.

Published widely on surgery, including 1818 'Pathological and Surgical Observations on the Diseases of the Joints', which led to reduction in the number of amputation and new treatments for joint diseases. He also published on diseases of the urinary organs and nervous affections. In 1854 he published, initially anonymously, 'Psychological Inquiries'.

Married Anne Sellon in 1816; they had four children, including chemist Benjamin Collins Brodie, 2nd Baronet. He resigned from St George's in 1840 and retired to Surrey. Died of a shoulder tumour in Broome Park, Surrey 21 Oct 1862, aged 79.

The School of Anatomy and Medicine adjoining St George's Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1827-1863

Established by a former student of St George’s, Samuel Armstrong Lane after being rejected from the post of assistant surgeon at St George’s Hospital in 1834. The school was housed at the back of Lane’s house on 1 Grosvenor Place, near St George’s Hospital on Hyde Park Corner, and soon became known as the School of Anatomy and Medicine adjoining St George’s Hospital. The school was in competition with the Kinnerton Street School, formally established in 1836, which became the official medical school for St George’s; pupils at the hospital could attend either of these schools, as well as a number of other anatomical schools. Lane became senior surgeon to St Mary’s Hospital soon after its establishment in 1852, and Lane transferred his pathological and anatomical collections to the new school at St Mary’s Hospital. Lane’s school closed down in 1863.

Dean Street School of Medicine

  • Corporate body
  • 1834-

Established as a private medical school in 1834, the Dean Street School of Medicine was one of the schools pupils at St George’s Hospital were expected to attend for further lectures. The others, prior to the establishment of the Kinnerton Street School of Medicine, which eventually became St George’s Hospital Medical School, included the Great Windmill Street School of Medicine, the School of Medicine and Anatomy adjoining St George’s Hospital or Lane’s School of Medicine, and Joshua Brooke’s school of anatomy on Great Marlborough Street. Although teaching at the school was stopped in 1847, the school reopened in 1849. The teaching of pre-clinical subjects ended at Westminster in 1905 and was moved to King’s College. A new medical school opened in 1938, and moved again in 1966 to Page Street, Westminster. It merged with Charing Cross Hospital Medical School in 1984 and became known as the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, moving in 1993 with the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital to Fulham Road, and becoming part of the Imperial College School of Medicine on its formation in 1997.

Results 76 to 100 of 388