Born at the Friary, Newark on 4th February 1822. In 1840 he was articled at the Royal College of Surgeons to John Goldwyer Andrews at the London Hospital. After qualifying he was appointed House Surgeon. After a year he attended hospitals in Paris and later Vienna where he studied opthalmic surgery and pathological anatomy. He later travelled to Prague, Berlin, Pavia, Pisa, Florence and Rome.
Returning to London, he was elected in 1852 a Surgeon on the staff of the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, and in 1862 he was elected Assistant Surgeon at St George's Hospital, and later Surgeon with Orthopaedic Wards until 1874. By the time of his death he was Surgeon to the Orthopaedic Hospital, and for a time he was Lecturer on Orthopaedic Surgery at St George's. He was on the staff of the Royal Hospital for Incurables, and Consulting Surgeon of the Belgrave Hospital for Children. For many years he had the chief orthopaedic practice in England.
He was an Associate of the Academy of Sciences of Rome, and Corresponding Member of the Medical Scieties of Lyons, Odessa and Rome, of the Chirurgical Society of Paris, and of the American Orthopaedic Association.
He died on 20th January 1900.